We are delighted to announce that the JHSE has made awards to the following projects:
- The transcription of data from Jewish wills in Gibraltar which are a rich source of material on Jewish social history.
- Adopted as the first JHSE 125th Anniversary project, the society and our Sussex branch will create a website to promote social history in Brighton and Hove.
- Support for research on the role of elite women in the campaign for women’s suffrage and left wing and anti-fascist activity in Britain during the interwar period. Also, for a biography on Claude Montefiore.
- Doctoral support for a thesis on ‘Charles Garland Verrinder: A non-Jewish contribution to Jewish Choral Music’.
- The Willesden Cemetery Heritage Project is a major project to conserve the buildings and access the social histories linked to the recently listed cemetery. We are supporting the professional fees of an Interpretative Planner.
- We are supporting the photographing of the Westminster Abbey Muniments. This will allow for a better understanding of debt patterns linked to Jewish moneylending in the medieval period.