Golders Green Synagogue: The First Hundred Years by Helen Fry is the first illustrated history of Golders Green Synagogue.
At the turn of the 20th century, Golders Green comprised mainly open fields, but the coming of the underground precipitated rapid development and Jews began to move into the area. Its first synagogue, Golders Green Synagogue, was founded in 1915; services were initially held in St Alban’s Hall, which belonged to the local Anglican Church.
Most of the land in the area was owned by Church Commissioners, from whom the congregation purchased its plot in Dunstan Road and built Golders Green’s first purpose-built synagogue, which was consecrated in 1922. Among the ministers and rabbis during its one hundred-year history are Rev Isaac Livingstone, Rabbi Eugene Newman, Dayan Swift and Rabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, who went on to become the Chief Rabbi of Great Britain and the Commonwealth, and who contributes a foreword to the book.
Golders Green Synagogue: The First Hundred Years includes over 200 black and white photographs, oral testimonies, and material from community archives. An exhibition researched and written by Helen Fry is being shown at the synagogue to celebrate its centenary.
The book can be purchased HERE.
The JHSE is not responsible for the content of external links.