Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
In i813, R. Moses Sofer, known to Rabbinical scholars as the ” Hatam Sofer ” after his work of that name, took as his second wife Sara, daughter of the famous R. Akiba Eger, of Posen. Through this marriage the two families became connected, and established a dynasty of rabbis who flourished in Galicia and Hungary up to the present day and to whom, more than to anyone else is due the spirit of rigid and unflinching orthodoxy which flourished there. Their descendant, Rabbi Solomon Sofer, or Schreiber, Rabbi of Bergeszasz, published in 1929 under the title of Iggereth Sofrim (a punning allusion to the two family names) the correspondence of his predecessors.1 Among this voluminous and interesting correspondence are to be found three letters of special Anglo-Jewish interest, two of them letters of Rabbi Solomon Herschell, Chief Rabbi of the Ashkenazim of London (1799-1842), to Moses Sofer and oneBecome a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946