THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
The American people, and to a great degree Europeans as well, never associate the Jewish people with the Kingdom of Ireland; yet not only were Jews to be found in the Emerald Isle at an early date, but the Irish themselves are among the very few nations of Europe who have repeatedly sought to identify their origin and their antiquities with the history of the chosen people. Many are the books written at different times by Irish authors, seeking to trace the descent of the Irish people from Japheth, the son of Noah, and the claim has likewise been made that Ireland is the Ur of the Chaldees.1
The voluminous literature, written by serious and scholarly men, who sought to identify the North American Indians with the Lost Ten Tribes, is now generally regarded as among the curiosities of history. Even more strange and fanciful than the theories set forthBecome a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946