THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
AMERICAN COMMEMORATION MEDAL, BY ISIDORE KONTITHE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
In November 1905 the Jews of America celebrated the 250th anniversary of the first organised settlement of the Jews in the New World.
The American Celebration was on a magnificent scale, and its complete success has been effectively commemorated in a special volume. One of the most important of the functions was the great meeting at Carnegie Hall, New York, on ” Thanksgiving Day,’7 November 30, 1905. Mr. Jacob H. Schiff was Chairman, and, after a prayer by Dr. Silverman, addresses were delivered by Ex-President Grover Cleveland, Governor Higgins, Mayor M’Clellan, Judge Mayer Sulzberger, Bishop Grier, and Dr. H. Pereira Mendes. A medal was designed and modelled by the distinguished Jewish sculptor, Isidore Konti. A photographic reproduction of this is here given.
For the occasion Mr. Israel Abrahams, writing then as President of the Jewish Historical Society of England, addressed theBecome a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946