Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
The Royal Exchange, which continued to house Lloyds after its rebuilding until the year 1927, had been destroyed by fire in 1838 when the Corporation of Lloyd’s lost almost all its records. In consequence its Roll of Members is probably incomplete. Some years ago, with the help of Sir Thomas Colyer-Fergusson, Bart., I made an attempt to select the Jewish-sounding names from a tentative Roll of Members compiled by Mr. Warren R. Dawson, F.S.A., who was for many years the Honorary Librarian of Lloyd’s. This list, now printed for the first time, comprises over 300 names and I make no claim for its completeness or accuracy. I have, however, found the list useful in connection with my Anglo-Jewish genealogical studies and I am glad of the opportunity of making it available to other workers in this somewhat limited field. I should have liked to have paid an ampler tribute toBecome a member to read the full article
Wilfred S. Samuel
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946