PAUL OF BURGOS IN LONDON.
When Edward I. expelled the Jews from England, a number of the exiles made their way to Northern Spain. Of these some must have found a home in Burgos. One of these new Anglo-Jewish settlers in Spain was, I conjecture, the ancestor of Paul of Burgos, who rose to notoriety exactly a century after his family had been driven from England. The supposition, that Paul of Burgos migrated from Eng? land, is, I admit, purely conjectural. And there was another more certain cause that may have endeared England to the subject of this short paper.
When Paul of Burgos was still a boy, for he was born in 1351, the name of the heir to the English throne was associated with that of one of the best friends that the Jews ever knew in Castile. Edward the Black Prince threw in his lot with Don Pedro the Cruel, as ChurchmenBecome a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND.
- GASCON ROLLS.
- ANGLO-JEWISH COATS OF ARMS.
- PAUL OF BURGOS IN LONDON.
- HEBREW ELEGIES ON ENGLISH MONARCHS.
- A RAMBLE IN EAST ANGLIA.
- THE CONDITION OF THE JEWS OF ENGLAND AT THE TIME OF THEIR EXPULSION IN 1290
- IBN EZRA IN ENGLAND.
- HEBREW MELODY IN THE CONCERT ROOM.
- JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY
- INDEX to the contents of the TRANSACTIONS OF THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY: Volumes I to XII and MISCELLANIES PART I
- An Unusual Form of the Prayer for the Royal Family. 1826
- The Jews of Jerusalem in the Seventeenth Century: An English Account
- Chebrah Rodphea Sholom: THE SOCIETY OF “PURSUERS OF PEACE”: Notes upon the first Jewish Friendly Society in England.
- Jacob Benider: Moroccan Envoy at the Court of St. James’ (1772)
- A New Starr of Huntingdon
- The Ketuboth of Bevis Marks
- Inventory of the Property of the Condemned Jews (1285): Part of a Pipe Roll in the Public Record Office.
- The Case of Thomas Fernandes before the Lisbon Inquisition.
- Was There a Domus Conversorum in Oxford?
- Carvajal and Pepys
- Jewish Tallies of the Thirteenth Century
- Gamaliel Ben Pedahzur and his Prayer Book