NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
My interest in Jewry Wall is the result of a recent visit to Leicester, and the short paper I am about to read consists of a summary of a few notes I have collected on the history of the Jews of Leicester in the thirteenth century. Jewry Wall closely adjoins St. Nicholas’s Church. As it stands at present it is about twenty-five yards in length and five feet in height, and is judged by antiquarians to be one of the most perfect relics of Rofnan masonry preserved in Britain. In its own way, Jewry Wall has been for long a fragment of renown, but its original purpose has hitherto baffled a solution which would be universally accepted. This vestige of antiquity, dating from the Roman occupation of Britain, has been regarded by some authorities as a portion of a Roman bath, by others as part of aBecome a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946