5 Maria Fernandez de Carvajal.
In my earliest essay on " The Resettlement of the Jews in England " (Lond., 1888, p. 5) I suggested, on circumstantial evidence which then seemed to me convincing, that Maria, the wife of Antonio Fernandez de Carvajal, the founder of the Anglo-Jewish community, was a daughter of Antonio de Souza, then Portuguese Resident or Ambassador in England. The error was pointed out to me very soon after by a friend in Lisbon, who sent me an abstract of a case recorded in the archives of the local Inquisition by which the family of Senora de Carvajal was identified. The facts were briefly recited in my paper on " Crypto-Jews in the Canaries" (J. H. S. Trans., vol. vii. p. Ill), and were alluded to in my earlier paper on "The Disraeli Family" H. S. Trans., vol. v. pp. 215-216), but they have not hitherto been given in an independent form. The following is a translation of the above-mentioned abstract, from the Lisbon Inquisition records, which shows Senora de Carvajal to have been a Rodriguez Nunez of Guarda :?
CASE OF ANTONIO RODRIGUEZ LINDO.
Antonio Rodriguez Lindo, x.n. (Ghristiano Nuevo), born at Badajoz, merchant at Lisbon, arrested for Judaism Oct. 9, 1660, condemned to public abjuration
Aged 23 years in 1660 (Nov. 8), son of the late Joao Rodriguez Lindo, merchant of Campomaior, and of Constanca Nunez of Guarda.
aternal nephew of: Francisco Rodriguez Lindo, who was married at Badajoz to Luiza da Sylveira ; no children.
Maternal nephew of:
1. Antonio Fernandez Nunez, fugitive in France ;
2. Manuel Rodriguez Nunez, fugitive in France;
3. Leonor Nunez, wife of Joao de Affonseca Mesas, with whom she Judaises in Holland ;
4. Anna Nunez, widow of Simao Fernandez Carvalho, residing in France. She has four children: 1. Antao Roiz Carvalho at Lisbon; 2. Leonor Nunez, wife of Antao Rodriguez Nunez ; 3. Anna Nunez, wife of Fernandez Marquez at Venice; 4. Maria Nunez in France ;
5. Maria Rodriguez, in England, widow of Antonio Fernandez de Carvajal, by whom she has sons ;
6. Brittes Rodriguez, in England, wife of Simao de Souza, no children.
The accused Antao Roiz Lindo is brother of: 1. Lourenco Rod? riguez, in the Canaries, married ; 2. Manoel Rodriguez at Rome ; 3. Joseph, an infant, at Lisbon. The accused was in Spain umtil the age of 12, then for six years in France, whence he came to Lisbon. His uncle, Antonio Fernandez Nunez, has been arrested by the Inquisition in the Spanish Indies (Mexico or Lima). Many of his mother's relations have been arrested in Lisbon.
This interesting document does more than establish the family relationships of Maria de Carvajal and the early history of the Lindo family. It tells us something of the martyr atmosphere in which the Anglo-Jewish community was founded, and of the strong Jewish spirit which animated the Carvajal household. Many of the names mentioned in it