Brighton Jewry reconsidered

It is some twenty years since a paper on Brighton’s Jewry, delivered to this Society, aroused considerable national and local interest.1 The present article supplements the earlier one and draws attention to new material, some of which has come to hand since the lecture on which it is based was presented in 1987.

The earliest reference to Jewry in post-resettlement Sussex appears in the records of fees, duties and Rents of Assizes of the Harbour of Rye dated 1670: ‘The Bailiff received one shilling headmoney on every Jew leaving or entering the Harbour’.2 Until about 1840 there was an inlet east of Rye known as ‘Jews Gap’, but the name has since been corrupted to ‘Jury Gap’.3 It is possible that it obtained its original name by being a place of landing or exit for those who chose not to pay this impost. In proposals to finance works for the

Become a member to read the full article

Newsletter sign up

© 2019 Jewish Historical Society of England

Secure payments by

Jewish Historical Society of England
0

Your Cart