A Sabbathaian Will from New York
The late Elkan Adler was especially interested in previously unobserved and undetected by-paths of Jewish life and history. I may, therefore, be permitted to pay my homage to his memory by strolling a little into one of these by-paths, namely, the sect of the Sabbathaians or followers of Sabbathai Zewi which flourished in a number of Jewish communities until the beginning of the nineteenth century.
The document which I present in the following pages is a rather peculiar one and it is doubtful whether any other of its kind has been written or at any rate if written, has been preserved. This is the last will of Gottlieb Wehle, a member of the Sabbathaian sect in Prague, who later (1849) settled in America as a member of a group of Sabbathaian families about whose emigration we have the monograph of Miss Josephine C. Goldmark : ” Pilgrims of ’48 …Become a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946