A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
An item in the will of Dr. Richard Rawlinson runs thus : ” I give and bequeath to the same University my metal Jewish vessel.” And in the same University, in the Ashmolean Museum in connection with the Bodleian Library, Oxford, the vessel has remained till the present day. Dr. Rawlinson died in 1755. He had bought the pot in March 1742 for XI, 5s., at the sale of the Earl of Oxford’s pictures and curiosities. The Earl of Oxford had bought it in 1722 on the death of its original owner, Dr. John Covel, Master of Christ’s College, Cambridge.
Covel, as may be seen from Bent’s Introduction to the Hakluyt Society’s volume, ” Early Voyages and Travels in the Levant,” was a noted Oriental traveller, and his diary contains several interesting, but not very agreeable, remarks about the Jews of the Orient. He was Master of Christ’s from 1688Become a member to read the full article
Other articles within the volume
- THE JEWISH HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF ENGLAND. 1907-1908.
- THE AMERICAN CELEBRATION
- THE WHITEHALL CONFERENCE : CELEBRATION OF THE 250th ANNIVERSARY
- THE NORWICH DAY-BOOK.
- THE JEWS OF IRELAND. AN HISTORICAL SKETCH.
- CALENDARS OF THE COACHING DAYS.
- THE DISRAELI FAMILY.1
- PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE SCIENCE OF JEWISH HISTORY
- A NOTE ON THE BODLEIAN BOWL
- A LETTER OF MENASSEH BEN ISRAEL.
- THE BAAL SHEM OF LONDON
- THE LOST TRIBES AND THE RETURN OF THE JEWS TO ENGLAND.
- JEWS AND CORONATIONS.
- SIR I. SPIELMANN’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS AND ITS SEQUEL
- NOTES ON LEICESTER JEWRY
- THE JEWRY OF THE RESTORATION. 1660-1664
- MR. F. D. MOCATTA’S PRESIDENTIAL ADDRESS. THE WANDERINGS OF THE JEWS.
- The Jewish Obituaries in the “Gentleman’s Magazine”: [Corrigenda and Addenda]
- A Sabbathaian Will from New York
- Tentative List of Jewish Underwriting Members of Lloyd’s (from some time prior to 1800 until the year 1901)
- The Jewish Fellows of the Royal Society: Paper read before the Jewish Historical Society of England, 15th December, 1947
- Three Letters of Anglo-Jewish Interest
- Jewish Entries in the “Curia Regis Rolls” and Elsewhere
- The following is a selected list of the published writings of Elkan Nathan Adler. It is based mainly on a longer list compiled by Mr. A. Schischa under the direction of the late Elkan Adler :?
- Elkan Nathan Adler: In Memoriam: An Address delivered before The Jewish Historical Society, on 14th November, 1946